Vegetarian Chili! Need I say more?? Today is National Chili Day and I had to make my three bean chili. This hearty, healthy, full of protein, yet very delicious 3 bean chili made up my lunch today. I make my chili with black beans, kidney beans, and cannellini beans along with Spanish onion, garlic, peppers, and salsa(yes, I put salsa in my chili!). This chili has very prominent flavor of roasted cumin powder and chili seasoning. It also has some honey to cut the underlying sourness of salsa, but you wouldn’t taste it. I topped it with a dollop of sour cream, cheddar cheese, some scallions, and chopped coriander leaves. Ohh yes, and of course some corn bread to accompany. What a satisfying lunch!
- One 15.5-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15.5-ounce can Cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 spanish onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (1 cup)
- 2 carrots, diced (1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 28-ounce medium Salsa or can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce from the can of chipotle chili
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili seasoning
- Salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- chopped scallions
- Chopped coriander leaves
- Heat the oil in large pot or Dutch oven over moderate heat.
- Add the onion, bell pepper and carrots, cover and cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the salsa, broth/water, minced chipotle chili and adobo sauce, oregano, chili seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Simmer, partially covered, stirring from time to time, for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the beans and cook, partially covered, 20 minutes longer.
- add salt to taste and freshly ground black pepper.
- Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, cheddar cheese, scallions, and chopped coriander leaves.