Who does not like a bold glass of Margarita after a long and tiring week to unwind and relax! I know… I do…
There are very few desserts are for adults meaning have alcohol in it. I love nice and strong margarita and I also like dessert. So, I thought of mixing all the ingredients of margarita with cupcake and have some adult version of simple cupcakes. So I search and search for such recipe and after much trials, I came up with the recipe below.
Kids stay away from it… These cupcakes have some tequila in it…
- 1 – 15.25-ounce box white cake mix
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- ⅓ cup tequila
- ⅓ cup buttermilk or milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon lime zest (from 2 limes)
- 1 tablespoon tequila, for brushing the tops
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered (confectioners’) sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- ½ tablespoon lime zest (from 1 lime)
- ¼ cup sanding sugar (optional: mix with ¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Line a muffin tin with paper or foil cupcake liners, and spray the liners with nonstick spray.
- Pour the dry cake mix into a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat the mix together with the lime juice, tequila, buttermilk, oil, large eggs and lime zest until just-combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin tins.
- Bake for 14 to 17 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the cupcakes to cool to room temperature.
- Brush the tops of each cupcake with the reserved tablespoon of tequila. Refrigerate the coated cupcakes for 30 minutes before frosting.
- While the cupcakes are in the refrigerator, make the frosting by whipping the cream cheese and butter together until completely smooth. Add in the remaining ingredients and whip until combined.
- Pipe the frosting onto each cupcake.
- Place the sanding sugar in a small bowl. Carefully roll the edges of each cupcake in the sugar to achieve the margarita sugar rim effect!
- Because there is cream cheese in the frosting, be sure to refrigerate any leftover cupcakes.